How to trace a photo of a garment in Illustrator
March 22, 2017
If you're not a good hand sketcher and can't draw from your head (like me), you may need to trace a photo. This tutorial will show you how to trace a photo of a garment being worn by a person.
You will learn:
- 00:32 Using the layers panel to organize your file and keep your photo and sketch separate
- 01:03 How to sketch your garment with the Pen Tool
- 04:08 How to make sure you close your path with the Pen Tool
- 05:04 How to draw with the Pencil Tool to create organic shapes and paths
- 07:45 How to copy paths to draw perfectly parallel seam / stitch lines
- 10:00 How to use brushes to create highlight / lowlights
- 11:00 How to emulate stitch / seam lines with dashed strokes
- 11:57 How to use the eye dropper to pick up attributes of other artwork
Questions or tutorial ideas? Put them below in the comments!
Save this tutorial to Pinterest so you can find it later: