How to move and scale patterns in illustrator
April 04, 2017
It’s simple to resize / move / transform patterns inside objects in Illustrator – and this video will show you how.
You will learn:
- 00:19 What is an engineered pattern in fashion?
- 01:20 How to place a repeating pattern swatch on the chest of your fashion flat by drawing it manually or using a clipping mask
- 03:18 How to add a fill color / stroke back to your clipping mask shape
- 04:19 How to change the size / scale of a repeating pattern swatch inside your fashion sketch
- 04:50 How to debug when your pattern is not scaling
- 06:18 How to move the position of your repeating pattern inside your illustration
- 07:10 Keyboard shortcuts (the Tilde key) to scale or move patterns without scaling / moving the object they fill
- 07:33 Keyboard shortcuts for German keyboards that don’t have the Tilde key
Questions or tutorial ideas? Put them below in the comments!
Save this tutorial to Pinterest so you can find it later: